• Raplex FMU has a total area of 63,993 Ha. About 53% (33,860 ha) is located inside Mujong Merirai Protected Forest and the remaining 47% area falls under stateland. It is located in the central region of Sarawak within Kapit Division and is about 85 kilometres upriver from the town of Kapit along the Batang Rajang.
  • It shares a common licence boundary with Forest Timber Licences T/0518 under Sarawak Timber Development Council (STIDC) operated by Song Logging Company Sdn Bhd, T/3064 Sut Sawmill Sdn. Bhd., T/3353 Jaya Tiasa, T/3290 Polymore Timber Sdn. Bhd. and T/3291 Polymore Timber Sdn. Bhd. on the southern and eastern sides.
  • Forest Department Sarawak has renewed Forest Timber Licence No. T/0560 on annually basis and currently under review for the sixty (60) years tenure as an incentive for achieving and maintaining forest management certification as stipulated in Policy Direction for Forest Management Certification in Sarawak. 

  • The forested area of the FMU primarily consists of (a) logged-over hill mixed dipterocarp forest and (b) secondary forests due to past shifting agriculture activities particularly along the banks of Batang Rajang, Sungai Pila and Sungai Ebon.  
  • Based on an assessment of the area carried out by Sarawak Forestry Corporation in March 2017, a total of 217 tree species were recorded.  Under the fauna survey, 90 fauna species were recorded consisting of 66 birds (Aves), 21 mammals, 2 reptiles and 1 significant insect.
  • Based on the topographic analysis using C-band and X-band interferometric RADAR datasets, the FMU has 11.3% terrain class I, 55.7% terrain class II, 29.7% terrain class III and 3.3% terrain class IV.
  • The Kapit/Merit Series soil type is the most dominant soils found within Raplex FMU accounting for about 45.2% of the area.
  • Image interpretation derived satellite image datasets, 86.6 % of the FMU is generally still under natural forest cover of Hill Mixed Dipterocarp Forest. The remaining 13.4% of the FMU are open areas that are attributed to water bodies, roads, skid trails and landings of recent harvesting operation and more recent SA activities.
  • Social Impact Assessment dated June 2017 indicated that Raplex FMU has 5 local communities living inside the FMU and 20 villages has been identified as Project-Affected Communities (PACs) as they are located within 3 kilometres from the edge of the FMU. As of 2021, the FMU local community list are updated as 3 settlement are located inside Raplex FMU while 21 settlements are adjacent to FMU.
  • Raplex FMU is not located within or near the Heart of Borneo (HoB).